Before the development of the silver mines in Kutná Hora, Jihlava was one of the most important silver producers in the Přemyslid territories. The first settlement at Jihlava took place in the vicinity of the church of St. John the Baptist. Mining shafts can be found in Staré Hory, north of the today’s city centre.
In 1249 Jihlava received city rights as well as mining rights. In the following decade Jihlava experienced its heyday of silver mining. That came to an end with the development of silver mines elsewhere, especially in Kutná Hora. Thus minting of coins also ended then in Jihlava. It has been estimated that the mines of Jihlava yielded 200 to 400 tons of silver. The abrupt and swift rise of the silver mines is one of the reasons for Jihlava’s promotion to the status of a royal city.
Silver manufacturing takes place near the city at the workshops and silver mines. Archaeological finds were also uncovered to the north of the main square. Interesting facts concerning coin minting can be found in the town hall of the city.