Šatov (Schattau) received the right to hang people at the end of the 15th century. Mention of executions can be found in the archives, dating to the 16th and 17th centuries. The execution of Maria Wentzlin is dated at 1691. In Šatov there is a place called Gallows Hill, where gallows stood in immediate proximity to the Czech–Austrian border. One can still see remnants of the foundation. The gallows were constructed with brick pillars. Gallows with two pillars indicate semi-judicial competence.
The pillory of Šatov was just opposite Town Hall and was composed of a round wooden base and a pillar with a knight’s statue. It was a symbol of the right to the title of city, and the local population called it ‘pillory man’ or ‘the merchant of Šatov’. Today a travertine stone with a memorial plaque has been placed where the pillory used to stand. All of the documents referring to the merchant of Šatov can be found at the foot of the pillar, as well an original photo and information on historical markets.